Zeppelin Konzern
Currently there are no events.

References planning Zeppelin Konzern

Reference planning

Your contacts

Michael Borowski and Martin Schöne
Michael Borowski and Martin Schöne ppa.
Heads of logistics planning
+49 351 314423-200 Email

References planning References BinMan References RoutMan References RampMan

Zeppelin Konzern

Zeppelin Konzern

11,000 m² storage surface · 60,000 parts · 85 employees · 1,500 orders per day

Since around 2014, the Zeppelin Group has carried out its order picking in the 11,000 m²-large central spare-parts store in Cologne on a completely document-free basis. Only 2% of approximately 60,000 items remain in the warehouse for longer than 24 hours. The remaining 98% are shipped within a day. In order that approximately 1.5 million parts per year (2014) can be delivered reliably to the customers, the sales and service partner from Caterpillar completely restructured its warehouse and logistics concept in 2013. In addition to the change to paperless picking and a new management system, an optimised material-flow concept takes effect. Thus, the originally unused outer area is now part of the active storage structure. Another important step was the planning and implementation of the multi-order picking process for more efficient spare parts supply. LOGSOL supported the Zeppelin Group in the analysis, planning and tender of the extensive warehouse conversion. The integration phase took place in close cooperation with the customer. After 24 months of operations, Martin Böcker, deputy head of spare-parts logistics in the Zeppelin Group, reviews the development since the punctual go-live:



Mr Böcker, where did you see the biggest challenges before and during the project and how crucial was the support from LOGSOL?


“BEFORE THE START OF THE PROJECT, THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE WAS ACHIEVING A VIABLE AND IMPLEMENTABLE CONCEPT THAT WOULD BE ACCEPTED BY BOTH THE EMPLOYEES AND THE MANAGEMENT. LOGSOL CONTRIBUTED DECISIVELY TO THIS. ANOTHER CHALLENGE WAS IMPLEMENTATION DURING THE ONGOING PROCESS, WHICH PLACED EXTREME DEMANDS ON THE ENTIRE TEAM OVER A LONGER PERIOD. LOGSOL WAS ALSO AT OUR SIDE DURING THE TENDER AND IMPLEMENTATION PHASE AND PROVIDED US WITH OUTSTANDING SUPPORT.”



When the project ended, had all the aims been achieved?


“THE RESULT BECAME APPARENT ONLY AFTER A FEW MONTHS. SYSTEMIC TEETHING TROUBLES AS WELL AS THE EMPLOYEES’ LEARNING CURVE PLAY A KEY ROLE HERE. FOR US, ALL THE PROJECT GOALS HAVE BEEN ACHIEVED 100%.”



24 months afterward: has the new structure proved itself in practice in the longer term as well and what has changed or improved at your company since the go-live?


“WE HAVE FUNAMENTALLY RENOVATED OUR AGEING WAREHOUSE LOGISTICS AND HAVE SWITCHED FROM PROCESSING WITH PAPER TO A COMPLETELY DOCUMENT-FREE SYSTEM – FROM GOODS RECEIPT TO PICKING TO SHIPPING. SO FAR, THE STEP HAS INDEED BEEN WORTH IT. FOR US, THIS WAS THE BASIS FOR FURTHER MEASURES, SUCH AS PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT AND SYSTEM OPTIMISATIONS, WHICH WE CAN NOW IMPLEMENT AND HAVE ALREADY IMPLEMENTED. THUS, FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS WE HAVE OFFERED COMPLETELY SYSTEMICALLY MANAGED COMPLETE DELIVERY THAT PREVIOUSLY WOULD HAVE BEEN ACHIEVABLE ONLY WITH CONSIDERABLE EFFORT. ADDITIONALLY, IT IS NOW POSSIBLE FOR US TO PRESENT AN OPTIMISED REPLENISHMENT OF SUPPLIES, WHICH HAS INCREASED OUR AVAILABILITY.”

 

Bilder: Zeppelin Konzern

Back to overview